Saturday, July 25, 2009

Country Girl

I live in the country, on a short dirt road that becomes our driveway. I listen to country music. I like going to the rodeo, mud bogging, and tractor pulls. I love my old pick up truck (still sad I had to trade it in for a Mom-mobile). I love my husband's pick up truck. I love being in Hot Stuff's pick up after dark in the summer when all you can smell is sweet grass and hear crickets and bullfrogs. I can (sort-of) two-step. I listen to the Farm Report and the Ag Report on the country radio. I hang my unders on the clothesline for all the world (ok, just the people who pass by our house) to see. I know the difference between a rifle and a shotgun and can tell the difference between a gunshot and a car backfiring.

And:

I like racing. Not watching NASCAR on TV, because that's boring. (Although actually going to a NASCAR or CASCAR race would be awesome!!) I like to head out to the quarter-mile track and spend an afternoon watching the mini, street, and pro (when they still had it) stock cars and the modifieds. Tomorrow is our 6th wedding anniversary and Hot Stuff and I decided to celebrate it today. By having a late lunch/early supper (lupper? sunch?) in town and driving, in his pick up, for forty minutes to the race track. It was the most fun I've had in a while.

So there. I am a country girl, and now you know.

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE the races too! Two weeks ago we went to the Mopar Mile High NHRA Nationals at Bandimere Speedway. We go on Sunday to see the finals and it's ALWAYS a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Anniversary! No shame in bein' a country girl, no shame at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to check up on you. How are you feeling?

    I just went back and reread your post from the 21st. I also read Harmzie's comment. Just wanted to clarify one thing. I in no way was trying to put guilt on you with my comment. My comment (book actually) was my heart from the possible perspective of your children in the future. It was not meant to guilt you into anything. I truly hope you can stop smoking for you and for your health.

    When you haven't been in the situation in which you and I have been, it is impossible to understand fully. I do think you understood where I was coming from since you said you had many of the same feelings. I just want to make sure that I did not offend you in any way. It was certainly not my intention!

    I know the anniversary of your mom's passing is coming up quickly. I hope the anticipation of the grief is so much worse than the grief itself on that day.

    You are in my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong and keep putting one foot in front of the other. You will survive these days just like you survived them a year ago. It's not easy, but you will get through. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please, let me know how immensely my writings have changed your life for the better. Remember, one can never be too effusive.