Thursday, January 21, 2010

Letters of Intent, Jan 22/10

Letters of Intent


Brought to you by Julie @ Foursons. Woof!

Dear Weirdo Lady Who Owns The Runaway Dog Who Was Living In Our Garage For 5 Days,

Listen, I know living out in the country allows us pet owners to get away with things that would not be allowed in the city. Nobody buys dog licenses out here. No one is going to call the dog catcher on you when your dog runs away.  We all kind of watch out for each other's dogs.  If you want to be afforded this same consideration, you need to be a more responsible pet owner.  When your dog first showed up, I looked for posters or something with your dog's picture on it at the mailboxes and in town. Nothing. Weren't you worried about your dog? Seriously. Five. Days. I would be knocking on doors and checking the ditches along the highway if my dog was gone overnight. You asked me when your dog showed up here. Don't you know when she ran away?

These three things really pissed me off: you purposely do not get your dog yearly vaccinations because she's "just a mutt;" you have no collar and no tags for her; and this is at least the third time she's run away, according to you.  If you don't want to get your dog's shots, fine. Personally, I think this is lousy dog-ownership but apparently not everyone gets vaccs for their dogs. At least get her a rabies vaccination every other year or so.  Do you know how many rodents and bats there are around here?  If your dog gets rabies from a badger or a bat and bites my kid, I will freak the fuck out and it will not end well for you.

Look, your dog can't be running around with no tags and no collar. Your dog was living in my garage for five days because I had no idea who she belonged to.  That's no life for a dog. Spend the five bucks and buy her a collar with a tag that you can etch your number into. Not everyone is going to put the effort into making posters in order to find you.

You need to either build her a dog run or pay better attention to her. In the winter, our gate is snowed open and our dog can get out.  Fortunately, she is old enough that she doesn't go very far anymore when it's cold, mostly to the side yard to pee. Your dog is a puppy and will run away, obviously. In the summer, you can believe that our gate is closed when the dog is outside. That's called Being Responsible.

So, Irresponsible Pet Owner, if your dog shows up at my door again I will be giving you the What For.

Just sayin'.

Stone

7 comments:

  1. Ugh, irresponsible pet owners drive me nuts. Seriously, if you adopt a dog/cat/parakeet whatever you are taking on responsibility for that animal's LIFE. Do not take that lightly. It's a LIFE, people! A LIFE! Sorry...it just really bugs me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, can't stand irresponsible pet owners. I had a neighbour who wouldn't fix her cats, those 2 poor momma cats had TWO litters per year for 3 years that we lived next to each other. And when ALL our cats were trapped 1 weekend because the block was populated with HER cats, I was the only one that showed up to pick Rusty up because of her tattoo. I had to leave the SPCA almost in tears (b/c I'm soft hearted when it comes to cats) just seeing the neighbours cats locked up with nobody to take them. I told my neighbour and she didn't even go them!!! OMG, I couldn't even look at her after that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was hoping an irresponsible pet owner's pet would wander into my yard when we were looking for a dog. I would have loved to "adopt" one that no one wanted any longer. We did go to the animal shelter to get Rocco, but I wanted a "free" one. hahahaha

    If the dog comes back I'd ask the lady if you can keep it. If you want another dog that is.

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found you via Fourson's Letter's of Intent...

    Irresponsible pet owners make my blood boil! It's not that hard, honestly, to do the things you mentioned, like getting a collar with a tag. I don't understand some people -- they want to own a dog, but don't want to responsibility that goes along with it. I'd give anything to have a dog right now, but our landlord won't allow it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Seriously, you'll shank a bitch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You think you'd 'freak the fuck out' -- I'd probably do some personal damage if that dog shared its rabies!!! Dumbass dog owner!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was totally your opportunity to have your own poop-eater. Kid smears poo, dog licks poo...it's not rocket science.

    ReplyDelete

Please, let me know how immensely my writings have changed your life for the better. Remember, one can never be too effusive.